Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Pancakes in Ghana

From September 28, 2008

We spent last week in Accra. We had only planned to spend three days there, but after Ash missed his flight home from Liberia on Monday, we found out that the next flight wasn’t until Wednesday Night. So we decided to stick around until Friday so we could visit with our friends, and 10 year veterans in Ghana Missions, the Mozley’s.


Accra is almost like a brief trip to the US. Katie even went through a little culture shock when we arrived at the Mozley’s house. She looked around at the Mozley family, and another missionary that was visiting and asked, “Mama, why are there so many Abrunis here?” After several months in Kumasi, the site of white people seems even a little odd to Katie!!


Accra has everything (for a price) that you could possibly want. They have shopping malls and Max Mart (think Walmart but smaller.) They have a bakery run by an American woman who makes real bagels! They have take out pizza and fast food fried chicken. I even saw a guy selling the current issue of “O” Magazine outside of the US Embassy (which by the way is an intimidating, sprawling campus that takes up several city blocks). For those long term expats there are even cottage style attached homes that would fit in nicely in Roswell, GA.


The one Abruni thing I really wanted while we were there was a big bottle of Aunt Jemima Pancake Syrup. We eat pancakes a lot here (which has been good for the kids, but not as good for the grown up Zooks J). When we moved into the Mozley’s house in Kumasi, they left us a bottle of Aunt Jemima Syrup in the frig. I have gotten sort of used to it. And we ran out just before our trip to Accra. So I stopped into the super market to get some. There it was, with all its American packaging: Aunt Jemima Pancake Syrup. As I reached for it I paused to check the price tag. $26 US dollars. Yep. $26 US Dollars. I calmly pulled my arm back down, leaving Aunt Jemima on the shelf for some other expat. Maybe one working in the Coco Industry. I found a recipe to make our own Pancake Syrup.


It was nice to return to Kumasi. It is nice to know that this little house we have been inhabiting for the last two months has begun to feel like a home.

1 comment:

The Evangelist said...

Hey there!

I am happy that I found your blog!

I am a clergywoman who will be arriving in Accra from the U.S. and will remain there for one year while I start a nonprofit organization!

I can not believe that a bottle of syrup that costs $4 here costs $26 in Accra! YIKES!

Note to self...pack a few bottles of syrup!

Are there other must-have items that are expensive in Accra that an expat should bring to Ghana?

I look forward to learning more about your experiences!

Blessings,
"Paul"